»

Monday, May 25, 2009

Not So Happy Memorial Day


My grandpa was always doing something in his shed. He was so handy and could do anything. That was up until this February when we found out he had cancer. On a positive he only suffered for a few months, on the negative we will all miss him so much. It hasn't really sank in yet. My grandma said she feels like he will pop through the door any time but she knows he won't. He came into this world on Halloween and he left on Memorial Day.

GRANDPA'S TOOL SHED

Grandpa's tool shed is a special place,
Full of mystery and delight,
Where little kids can come and watch
While Grandpa builds a kite.

Each day before the sunset,
Grandpa is always there,
The sound of his saw and hammer
Filling the evening air.

Grandpa can fix anything
And make it look brand-new-
He fixes toy cars and airplanes,
Trucks and trailers, too.

There are many happy moments
Pleasant to recall,
But Grandpa in his tool shed
Is the nicest one of all.

~By Marie Dostan~

My grandpa always told me to "Keep your powder dry".


20 comments:

Becca said...

OMG APRIL!!!!! I am so sorry to hear about your grandpa. I knew it was getting to be around that time but omg. I am glad that you have such fond memories of him, and hopefully your grandma and the rest of your family will remember those over the ones of him towards the end, with cancer. I know he will be smiling down on you until you see him again one day.

I am so teary right now!!
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. :(

sweetnshort2 said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandpa.

Mary M said...

Very sorry to hear about your grandpa. My prayers are with you and your family.

Blessings,
mary

Nerd Girl said...

im so sorry to hear this :-( my prayers are with you!

Liimu said...

April,

I'm so sorry for your loss. What a poignant day to choose to leave us. Your grandpa must have been a very special, and memorable man.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Love, Liimu

Danielle said...

I'm so sorry to hear April. You and your family are i my prayers.

Tearose said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandpa :( *hugs*

Tearose said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandpa :( *hugs*

EM :) said...

Ohhh gosh April. I'm sure words won't soothe right now, but know that all your blog buddies are praying for you and your fam!

Lots of love 2 you, stay strong :) :)

XOXO~
EM

O' Natur Nail said...

sorry about your gramps april.. *hugzzz*

Tracy said...

So sorry sweets. I know how important my Grandpa is in my life...so my heart aches for you.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

GClef1970 said...

(Tried to comment yesterday, but Blogger wasn't cooperating.) So sorry to hear about your Grandpa. Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Stef said...

I am so very, very sorry, April!

XO

Anonymous said...

I'm SO very sorry to hear of this. Hugs and kisses to you and your family.

Ruby said...

I am so sorry for your loss April. My thoughts and prayers are with your family.

Barbara said...

April~

I am sorry to hear of your loss. Sounds like you have a bunch of great memories to last a lifetime.

Hugs

B

Sunnie said...

I hope you are doing okay today. Grandpas are the best! I miss mine so much, he always used to tell me to eat certain things that he knew I did not like because it would put hair on my chest. He was silly like that and always made me laugh. I love that pic, he is adorable.

Tracy said...

Hugs to you!! I'm so sorry for your loss.

C2 said...

Much love to you Sweetheart. I lost my Grandmother three years ago on Memorial Day!

I will be praying for you and your family!

LOVE YOU!

xoxo

~ Elizabeth

B said...

I am so sorry to hear this April. Keep the memories close to your heart. I would hug you a thousands times right now if I could